Saturday, January 12, 2013

My first blog as an adult skater

First of all, I'm going to let you know that I cannot guarantee how often I will update this blog, but I will try my best to update it on a semi-regular basis.  I've tried keeping stuff like diaries in the past, and I would do alright for a while, but then would sorta forget about them as time went on. However, I will give this another whirl, and see what happens. :)

Let me introduce myself.  I'm Janet Slater, and I'm an adult figure skater, and am starting my third year in the sport.   I'm originally from the Southern Illinois area, and have a Bachelor of Music degree from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, focusing on Music Education and Flute Performance.  Yes, music is my main love--always has been, and always will be, but figure skating is something I've also grown to love as a hobby.  I'm currently living in Champaign-Urbana, am a certified Alexander Technique teacher, and I also am a full-time Teaching Assistant in the Special Education Department at one of the local high schools.

So, why did I pick up figure skating as an adult?  It's simply because I wanted to give it a try.  I had always enjoyed watching figure skating on T.V. growing up (Michelle Kwan being a favorite), and had even seen a "Stars on Ice" show back when I was in high school.  I had kinda forgotten about the university here (University of Illinois) had an ice rink on campus, so back in the fall of 2009, I decided to go to a couple of public skate sessions, just to give it a try.  I wore a pair of brown rental skates that were way too narrow for my feet, and hurt like the dickens, but I immediately loved being on the ice.  The most that I could do was march baby steps around the rink, but I absolutely loved it.  I went back a few more times, and worked up the courage to start trying some two foot glides, one foot glides, and some stroking.  I was enjoying it so much that when I finished my A.T. training that December, I would treat myself to a semester of skating classes, starting that January.  My rink is affiliated with the ISI (Ice Skating Institute), and I was able to take Pre-Alpha, Alpha, and Beta levels with other adults.  I passed the Pre-Alpha through Delta levels within a year (minus the summer, as my rink isn't open then), and am now skating at the ISI Freestyle 1 level.  I did my first ever competition last spring, at the Delta level, and I enjoyed my experience.

My goal for this year is to pass my Freestyle 1 test, and start working on the USFSA Pre-Bronze MITF (Moves in the Filed) test.  I also have hopes to start working on, and landing my first ever single rotation jump.  However, this will depend on my progress.

Now, some stats for those of you who may be extra nosy: :)
Clockwise or Counterclockwise Skater: Clockwise
Skates: Jackson Classiques with Ultima Mirage Blade
Current Program Music:  Cider House (main title theme) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2H8p4uqCZ0
Height: between 5'8-5'9. I'm one of the tallest female skaters at my rink, and one of the very few adult skaters there as well.
First Competition ever done: Illini Ice Competition at the University of Illinois. I competed "against the book," and scored two first place finishes for the compulsories and Delta level program.
YouTube channel name: jfluter
Favorite Skaters (I admit, I'm not so familiar with most of the current skaters): Scott Hamilton, Todd Elderidge, Michelle Kwan, Evengi Plushenko, Kristi Yamaguchi, Nancy Kerrigan, Tonya Harding (for her jumps...holy axel batman!), Carolize Zhang, Johnny Weir, Brian Boitano, Elvis Stojko, Karolina Kostner (sp?), Midori Ito, Sasha Cohen (for spirals), Alissa Cziny, and I hope this list continues to grow....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment