Saturday, January 12, 2013

Questions to Ponder

In addition to my (hopefully) semi-annual blog posts, I'd like to post some questions that come to my mind. These questions will be for anyone to respond to, but keep in mind that some of the questions may be geared to a more particular skating audience.  Please keep in mind that I do have a skating coach, so I would like to have more particular answers than "talk to your coach," as I already do that on a regular basis. :)

So, here's a couple of questions to start things off:

1. If you wear glasses/contacts, do you wear them for practice and competitions? Do you find them to a major safety hazard, due to the risk of breakage from a fall?

2. Public Skate Sessions. Do you find those times beneficial as additional practice, or more of a hindrance?  Do you feel that the rink guards do a decent job in keeping a visual check on those in the center/figure skating circle? 

3. For clockwise skaters:
What is your biggest challenge with skating in the opposite direction?

4. Which side is your weaker side?   I find that my right leg is my non-dominant one, which is kinda a pain since I have to jump off of that leg.  However, I'd much rather take off on my weaker leg, than land on it!

5.  Falling. How does one conquer their fear of falling?  I admit that I'm sometimes a huge "scaredy cat" about this. Sometimes this fear stops me from trying to jump and do footwork with more speed.  I'd love to hear some tips about conquering this fear.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Janet! I just found your skating blog this afternoon and am so glad I did. I think we're twins - I have a flute performance minor and am also an adult skater who spins in the clockwise direction. I definitely find it challenging to practice during public since I spin and jump in the other direction. My right leg is definitely weaker, but I'm working on fixing that so I no longer have a dominant side. Don't worry about falling - get some pads so you don't have that mental block. I keep thinking to myself, "the worst that can happen is that I fall on my bottom." =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for clockwise skaters! I know how awkward (yet, very cool) it can be, especially in a skating class situation. I've also began working more with my right leg. I think my left leg will always be dominate, but, with time, I think I can get more comfortable with using my right leg.

    As for the pads, I've tried using "waxel" pads, and they didn't help my fear whatsoever. My worst fear is falling backwards and hitting my head on the ice. Most of the time, my falls come from when I least expect it, and lately, I've mostly been falling onto my rear or thigh, so not too bad. I think it's something about the initial impact that scares me. I've never quiet figured that out!

    Feel free to write back. I love hearing from other adult skaters and flutists! Unfortunately, I don't play as much as I use to, so my skills aren't as up there. However, I'm thinking of ordering a new piece (which I haven't done in YEARS) soon, and that may boost my interest up again. I'm looking at getting Astor Piazzolla's "Historie de Tango."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We clockwise skaters are definitely the best - not that I am biased, of course. =) I use a silicone pad for my knees since I tend to fall on those every once in a while. It usually takes me a good month (or more) for the bruises to heal, so the pads have been awesome.

    I absolutely love the Histoire du Tango! I performed one of the movements a few years ago and fell in love with the piece. I haven't played for about 3 years since my daughter was born. My college professor told me that flutists start permanently damaging their hearing after 15 minutes of playing. I've played with earplugs ever since and don't have a pair for my toddler yet.

    So that "free" time is now spent skating or baking! Feel free to follow me in my baking adventures at www.evabakes.blogspot.com. I'm following your blog and will keep commenting. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, come to think of it, I skated to my performance of Histoire du Tango for my Adult Bronze Freestyle test a few years ago. I skated to a Bach Trio Sonata (For flute, piano and violin, in Bb major) for my Adult Silver Freestyle test. Once I pass my Gold moves, I'll need to look for a flute piece for the Gold Free. I'm thinking about the Liebermann Sonata (1st movement).

      Delete