Monday, October 26, 2015

It's the fall semester!

Wow. It has really been a long time since I posted on here!

In a nutshell, I am still skating, and continue to make progress.  I can't remember if I had posted this before, but I had thought about testing my Pre-Bronze MITF back in the spring.  Although I had been working really hard on the test, I decided to not test as I was honestly not prepared for it.  The most difficult pattern for me is the crossovers, simply because I really struggle with the inside swing mohawk transition that is suppose to occur between the forward and backward crossovers.  Although I remember initially being really upset with this decision, I'm glad that I decided to not test. I know that the test is "only" pass/re-try, but I want to pass the test well, and not just barely squeak by. I had learned my lesson the previous year about testing something that I'm honestly not ready for, and I don't care to repeat the experience. That being said, I am looking at testing later this semester (December or so), and THIS time, I will be ready. I backed out of the test once,and I don't want to do that again.  I am also planning on testing my Pre-Bronze Freeskate, as my coach said that I would be ready for that as well.

So..this summer...I was able to skate a few days a week at my rink, as it was FINALLY open for the summer!!! Yay!!  There, I started re-focusing on my MITF as well as learning back three turns, a sit spin, and back scratch spin.  I also found out that my coach is going to be leaving in December, so I only have a few more months with him.  I'm going to really miss him as he's the coach that I've had the lonest (since I was in ISI FS 1, basically).  I'm suppose to be transitioning to a new coach as of January, but I 'm not ready for that transition yet! I want to hang onto my coach forever!  However, I am also happy for him as he got accepted into a good graduate school, and will still be able to put me onto the ice for competitions in the Chicago area, so it's not like he will be gone-gone.

My other big news is this...NEW SKATES!!!!! I've been having a lot of problems with my old skates (Jackson Classiques), so this summer, I decided to finally get fitted for a new pair. A week ago Saturday, I was finally able to pick up my new skates, and so far I LOVE them.  When I got measured, I was told that my (now old) skates were a size and half too big length wise, and didn't at all fit me around my foot. I have about an A width heel and ankle, but am much wider towards the ball of the foot (and even have a slight bunion, most likely due to my skates).  So now, instead of being in an 8 1/2, I'm now in a 7 in a Jackson Premiere. My blade is also completely different. My previous blade was a Ultima Mirage, which is okay for beginner skate.  My new blade is a 9 3/4 inch Protoge.  I was really excited, but nervous about the new skates because of the fear of the skates being really stiff and adjusting to the new blades. Honestly, as a whole, these skates are breaking in VERY nicely!  I've had a few minor issues with my right ankle area, but it's nothing that undoing the skate for a few minutes, or re-adjusting the tongue can't resolve, and these are to be expected. I did have one fall over my toe picks, but it wasn't bad.

I first skated in my skates the next day, and I will admit that I could hardly do anything in them.  I felt like I was in someone's else's skates and my feet were like "Whoa...this isn't right."  Seriously, all I could do at first was swizzles and one foot glides.  However, after about 30 minutes or so, I was able to try crossovers.  Since then, I've progressed extremely quickly to my "normal" footwork/edges. My coach has already seen major improvements with my skating, and we're working towards re-adjusting to the new skates. I'm already back to spinning, although that is a bit of challenge as I have to re-find my "sweet spot," so that will take some additional. Part of that will be from really riding my right outside edge (remember that I'm a clockwise/leftie skater), but I'm expecting that to kick in the not-so-distant future.  As a whole, I cannot stress the importance of having good, supportive skates and blades, regardless of your skating level.  They really do make a difference!  I know that I'm feeling MUCH more safe with skating in these skates, as my foot is pretty much on lock down, so it won't shift, have my heel come up, not get loose on me, you name it.  My previous skates were actually very dangerous for me to skate in, so I'm so glad that I finally have something that works well.  These skates and blades should last me up to axel or possibly beginning doubles (if I get that far).

In addition to the new skates, I will be skating two completely new programs this year. I was able to choose the music, and, for the first time, cut the music myself. I had to scrap my original plan of skating to one piece ("Beethoven's 5 Secrets by the Piano Guys) as my coach and I couldn't come up with a good cut.  However, I came across the soundtrack to "Dangerous Beauty" on youtube, by just looking up "figure skating music."  This year, I am planning on skating ISI Bronze again, but also giving a dramatic a try.  The nice thing about a dramatic program is that I can use elements up to FS 4, so it's a good way for me to keep challenging myself, yet not stress over not having all of my FS 4 elements.  For my Bronze program, I'll be skating to "Veronica and Marco," and for my dramatic, I will be skating to "Imprisonment."  The later is going to be especially challenging as it's very dark, and so it will be my job to portray that mood...something that I have never done.  However, I think this will be good, as it will force me outside of my "box."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BhNCNm1dxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t6mZYu0VGQ

That's about it for now.  I will try to add updates more often, so just bear with me!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray - so many new and exciting changes for you! New boots, blades and programs! You'll pass your MITF and FS with flying colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eva. It's been a very slow progress as a whole with skating. What I forgot to mention is that my rink has an exhibition skate coming up next weekend, but I may not be able to participate due to lack of time of putting together a program. :( I hate passing up an opportunity to perform, but with everything else that has been going on (not just skating related), I may not have a decent program put together in time.

    ReplyDelete