Sunday, January 24, 2016

Pre-Bronze MITF and FS test in review

Yesterday was finally THE DAY. It was THE DAY that I finally took my Pre-Bronze MIF and FS test at my rink. I had basically been working on this test for a year, with the initial plan of testing back in April, but back then, decided I wasn't ready.  However, I had told myself that I would be ready for this test session, and I spent many months preparing for this test day.

For those of you who are not familiar with the testing process, you basically have have to pass skating tests to be able to compete.  Plus, certain competitions may allow you to "skate up" a level, depending on your passed tests, and their rules/regulations.  In USFS, you have two components to your test. There's the "Moves in the Field" (MIF) and then, if you pass that, there's the "Freeskate" (FS)portion.  The MIF consists of different patterns, which is used to demonstrate skating edges (based from the former "school figures" where figure skating gets its name), and the skater has to demonstrate those patterns with good control, power, and flow.  The FS portion is where the skater demonstrates jumps, spins, and footwork, like that is found in a regular competition program.  However, a skater must pass the MIF portion of the test before taking FS. All skaters start at the first level, then work their way up, with each test getting harder to pass as they progress.  For the adult skaters who are skating the adult levels, the first level is Pre-Bronze.  Then, there'ronze, Silver, Gold, then, from there, one can transfer to the remaining USFS levels, and even test all the way up to "Senior" (the highest level).

As for me, I honestly found the whole testing experience a VERY nerve wracking experience.  I generally do not perform skating tests well, because of the nerves.  I can handle performing on flute in front of hundred of people, but put me in front of one judge on the ice is a whole different story!  I know that this is because I'm not that experienced of a skater, and this whole testing thing is still very new for me. I had also been nervous about getting all of my moves down well in preparation for the test, which upped my anxiety level.

For both of my tests, I shared the ice with one other adult skater (which is common for early level testing) and we each had one judge.  We started our patterns at the opposite ends of the rink, and honestly, I'm VERY glad that I had practiced most of my patterns from both ends, knowing that this situation may happen.  The rink itself was very quiet, and there was no one in the stands.  So, I was able to pretty much hear everything that I was doing ...for better or for worse. I normally LOVE it when the rink is super quiet, which rarely happens.  I think there's A LOT of benefit to having quiet sessions where you can hear your edges, because I think hearing music a lot takes that listening ability away to some extent, thus we end up having one less sense to use with learning basic skating skills.  I feel like that skaters should not only be able to feel where their edges are on an element, but how that particular element sounds, and music often covers a lot of that up. There's just a certain calming quality about skating when one can hear their edges cutting into the ice, and I think that gets overlooked.

That being said, I would like to share with you about my morning with testing as a whole, as well as the thoughts that were going through my head as I was testing.  I will warn you that my thoughts were totally not sunshines and rainbows.  I was fighting through really nerves, and trying to think of some technique at the same time to try and remain at least somewhat focused.  This was INCREDIBLY hard for me to do, and I basically just ended up relying on my practice and training to get me through.  Based upon what I was thinking during my tests (especially my MIF), I am glad that my coach was not tough on me as I do enough of that onto myself.  I will have the results posted of my test sessions at the end of this email.

Here goes: the run down of my test session:
I got up around 7 a.m. as my test session was scheduled to start a few minutes before 10. I shower, have breakfast, and get my things together and arrive at the rink at 8:15 or so.  I put my things down, and see that there's a youth hockey game going on.  I'm already super nervous, but decided to do a few simple stretches, and run a few slow laps around the rink, while listening to "Bang Bang" by Arianna Grande.  I only ran about three laps or so, but I totally needed it to sorta get rid of that energy, while starting to get my body warmed up and breathing going.  "Bang Bang" has been my "go to" song lately to get moving, so that was the best thing for me to listen to at the time.

A few minutes later, I go back into the lobby to start stretching, and I tried including stretches for the whole body, but also focusing on the stretches for my spiral.  These included front splits and straddle. By this time, the hockey games are just about done, and more kids who are testing are arriving.  At about 8:45, I start changing into my dress and putting on my make up (ice is being zammed now).  I get out about 10-15 minutes later, and watch the first test taker for a few minutes.  Then, I decided it was best for me to keep moving, and try some off ice rotational jumps.  A few minutes later, my new coach arrives, and I decided to join her and her student into a stretching/warm up routine.  My coach also helps me with stretching my spiral, and by this point, I'm feeling as warmed up as I can probably get.

Around 9:25 or so, we were told that the tests were moving a bit ahead of schedule (a good thing), so those of us in the next group could start getting our skates on.  I get my skates on, check in with one of the monitors, and then meet with the other skaters in my group just outside the door in the lobby. THEN, my previous coach comes in! He came down as a surprise to see me and his other students test!!! I was so glad to see him!!! I had only one lesson with my new coach at this point (just a few days ago, actually), so it was nice to have someone who really knows how I skate, and knows how much I have progressed just before I test.

A few minutes later, we go to just outside the rink door for our on-ice warm up. At this point, nerves are kicking in, and I could not watch the other skater who had to re-skate one of her elements. So, I kept my back to her, did some deep knee bends, and just tried to get myself together.

The warm-up
At a testing session, each group of skaters gets a five minute warm up period.  This period is meant to get your skates under you, and maybe to run through any last minute patterns that you and your coach want to go over.  I did about a 1/2 lap of stroking, then did the crossover pattern with my mohawk transition.  I also did a few forward edges, a few backward edges, then went back to the crossover pattern to try the transition pattern again, as I missed it the first time.  My backward crossovers were scratchy, which wasn't good.  However, in order to help me focus, I gave a brief thought to my "buddy" that I have a running forum, which gave me just a brief moment to breathe and sort of collect myself.  During the last minute, I ran through one round of the Waltz 8, just to make sure that I could 3-turn in both directions.  Then, we were called off the ice.  Reality hit me that I was going to be testing at any moment, as my friend and I were first in our group.  My previous coach tells me that he has faith in me with this test.  My friend and I gave each other a high five, then went out when we were told to do so.

Thoughts going to the judges table

1. Uh oh. This is it. I'm already shaking.  Judges are over there. Skate to them.
 *Side note: The skater always goes to the judge(s) first.  This is to verify information on your testing comments sheets, which they should have.  They may also explain any special accomodations that may be done, such as starting at opposite ends, if there's more than one skater on the ice.*

2. Thank goodness I have practiced most of my patterns using both ends.  Just my luck. I got the "opposite" end of the rink for this test. Oh well. Just go with it.  Trust your practice with this.

3. Oh !@$!! I'm about to start testing. Oh !@#$!! Okay. Find your starting point. You know how to start.There. T-position. Arms up. Breathe. Go.

Thoughts throughout the the test: Forward Perimeter Stroking (CC)
1. Dude, I'm shaking!
2. Did I just toe push on that corner?  Ugh. Keep going.
3. 1-2, 2-3, 3-2....
4. Judge's area straight at 3 O'clock. Keep looking up towards the wall! Arms! Chill! Get in the right position!
5. What the hell just happened with my free foot? Get back up there, foot! Dude, nerves, you're making me really shakey. 4-2..5-2..6-2...
6. Crossovers on the corner.  Better.
7. 1-2, 2-2...This is taking more effort than normal...
8. Keep looking up towards the wall!  No toe pushing!
9. 6-2...crossovers! Keep those arms steady!! Damn you nerves! Arms! They're not windmills!
10. Finish. T-stop. Arms out. Hold. down.

Clockwise
1. Breathe. T-position with right foot in front. Arms out. Go.
2. Whoa. That started a little faster than I expected. Did I just cut that corner a little soon. Hold that stroke a bit longer, just in case.
3. 2-2, 3-2....DON'T LOOK DOWN! Keep looking just above the Meijer sign.
4. Damn you nerves! QUIT MAKING ME SHAKE! Regroup. Regroup. Focus. Keep looking towards the wall. Keep counting. Look towards the wall. Keep going.
5. Crossovers ahead. Go.
6. Ugh. There's that slight scraping with my right foot. Come on! More step! I hope the judge doesn't hear this.
7. 1-2, 2-2, 3-2...judge coming up at 9 o'clock! DO NOT LOOK TOWARDS THE JUDGE!!! LOOK AHEAD!  See that wall? Keep looking towards that.
8. Crossovers now...okay.
9. Finish. T-stop. Arms out. Hold. Down.

Forward Outside Edges:
1. No...don't waste time by going down to your usual spot.  Your fellow adult skater is down there, Just do your thing at this end. You've done this before.
2. Push. Good.
3. 23456...223456
4. Nerves. I freaking hate you right now. Yo. Quit looking down so much. Stay on that edge. Arms, please cooperate.
5. 423456, 523456....done. Overall...not bad.

Forward Inside Edges
1. Ready. Go.
2. Steady....nerves, you're not helping
3. 223456, 323456. So far, I seem to be on an inside edge. Can the judge tell?
4. Almost done...
5. Phew. Done.

Back Outside Edges
1. This is your best backward edge. Give it a good push to start.
2. Damn...not quite as good of a push that you can do. That is the nerve's fault.  We'll make up for it on the other lobes.
3. Better!  Keep going. 223456...
4. Ugh...Nerves! I'm shaking! 323456...423456...
5. Hold that edge, Look towards the sholder. Extend, not spiral...hold.
6. Finish. T-stop. Arms out. Hold. Down.

Back Inside Edges
1. Come on, give me a good push to start these edges.
2. Damn it, nerves! That push sucked!  Make it to the line, make it to the line...made it.
3. Did I just skate on the wrong foot? I hope not.  Okay, worst case scenario is that I would have to reskate it.  Keep going.
4. !@#$ YOU NERVES! YOU MADE ME WOBBLE!!!! WHOA ARMS!!! CALM DOWN!!! STAY UPRIGHT! FIGHT FOR IT!!! STAY UP RIGHT!!! HOLD!!! PHEW!!! That was close!!! Breathe...next one...
5. Ugh. Nausea.  Not what I need right now....
6. These lobes are feeling off....ugh
7. Finished.  Uh oh...crossover pattern next.

Crossover Pattern
1. THIS.PATTERN. TRANSITION.
2. First up. Forward crossovers. Ready. Go.
3. Push, Cross. Push.Cross....
4. First transition...could've used more lean. Oh well. Go.
5. There's that scraping of my left foot.  Come on. Lean! Step! Better!
6. Oh !@#$ Transition is coming up. Shut up. Do these crossovers first. Transition is later.
7. Transition time...oh boy....aim towards the the center. Swing. GET ON THE INSIDE EDGE! Okay...could've used more inside edge, but GO!! Okay, not the cleanest, but no turning back now.
8. UGH!!! BAD SCRATCHY CROSSOVERS! BAD CROSSOVERS!!!
9. Transition...extend leg...down...go!
10.  Better crossovers on this side.
11. Did I do the same amount of crossovers on each side? I have no idea.  I'm just going to assume I did.
12. Finish. Ugh.

Waltz 8
1. Finally! A pattern that I can do in my "normal" spot!  About time!
2. Whoops. Body started just started. 2,3(turn), 4-5-6..
3. Hold the edge. Look towards your sholder. Don't raise the hip..keep holding..ugh.nerves and nausea still going.
4. Whoa. That felt a bit tight around that spot. Hang on. Good. Back to center.
5. Right foot. Are my lobes somewhat even as this side felt more solid.
6. Back to center.
7. Second time. Left side. Repeat.
8. Back to center...stay steady....
9. Right side.
10. Last time. Repeat...back to center.
11. Finish! Spirals!

Spirals
1. Last test. Hey! Can I start my spirals there? Oh wait. Crap. She's starting over there, and is waiting to her start her pattern. What do I do? Crap. I have to use the other end again...and I haven't practiced my spirals much there.  Okay body, just trust yourself here.  You can do this pattern, It's the same steps.

2. I hope I did the right amount of intro steps..

3. Nerves, whatever you do, KEEP.ME.UPRIGHT! DO NOT HAVE ME FACEPLANT!! ..Left leg up!!!  Hold it...balance....

4. Judge's area to the right at a 3 o'clock!  Look up and hold! Turn the foot out! Hold! Make it to the blue line! Phew! Change feet!

5. Hold it!  Nerves, now is NOT the time to make me shake!  You're making this HARD! HOLD! Point that foot! Dude! That's some MAJOR foot shaking!! Okay, down! You made it!

6. Finish. Arms out. down.  Turn towards judging area. ("Thank you!") D.O.N.E!!!! YOU.ARE.DONE!!!!  Get your butt off the ice!!!

I got off the ice, still in full force nerves, anxiety, and some nausea.  One of the first people I see is both my new coach and my previous coach, and both were happy with how I tested. I felt like keeling over from the nerves and anxiety at this point.  My other friend and I gave each other another high five for finishing (during the tests, I could also hear when she finished each pattern).  A few others told me that I did well, and I was able to finally breathe and take skates off, and had another hour to re-collect myself.

Freeskate Test
For this test, I was much less nervous, as a I had a chance to calm down from my moves test.  On this test, I had to do forward crossovers (good direction), backward crossovers (also good direction), two jumps of choice (waltz and salchow), two foot spin (3 revolutions, minimum), 1 foot spin (3 revolutions, minimum), and a spiral or lunge (I did a spiral).  Like the moves test, I shared the ice with another adult skater, and we each had a different judge.  We approached the judges, verified all of our testing info, and then were told which elements to do first. I was told to do my jumps. For what it is worth, I'll tell you my thoughts during that test.

Approaching the judge's table
1. Here I go again. I can handle this.
2. Is this the same judge? She looks familiar...oh well.
3. Okay. Here we go.

Waltz jump
1. Backward crossovers...push, cross, push, cross, push cross...step forward on the outside edge..ready...NOW!
2. Whew. Landed..not that big or high, but landed. Hold the landing...you KNOW this position. Good!

Salchow
1. Please let this be decent. Please let this be decent....
2. Check. Hold...jump!
3. Ugh...too much lean...funky landing...just hang on. This can be re-skated if needed.
4. Back to the the judge. Crossovers are next. Go.

Forward Crossovers (CCW)
1. Keep leaning, Push. Cross. Push. Cross. Good. Keep this up.
2. How many of these have I done?  Oh well, just go back to about where you started and call it good from there.

Backward Crossovers (CW)
1. Crap. I forgot. Which way am I going again?  *Starts to head in one direction*
2. Wait. That's my "bad" side. Start over there for your good side.
3. Push. Cross...Push. Cross....come on legs and edges, work with me here. You're scratching some..
4. Now, you're going! Better! Circle is a bit wide, but just go with it. MUCH smoother now...phew!
5. Finish. Back to the judge's table (spins)

Two Foot Spin
1. Ugh. Scratchy wind up...will have to correct this once and for all. Push...up...hold...other foot down...SPIN!!!
2. HANG ON!!!
3. Exit. Extend...
4. Now one foot.

1 Foot Spin
1. Wait whoa...this wind up is funky....hold hold hold...just step and fight for it...
2. Up...2 3....steady.....
3. Cross...ugh...not quite steady enough for scratch...just keep holding in this position...
4. Done. Exit
5. Back to the judge's area. (spiral)

Spiral
1. This is NOT the MIF pattern. You can take an extra step if needed. You got this.
2. and....UP!! HOLD!! Keep extending!!  Hold..hold...hold...try to make it all the way across. Dang it foot, why do you shake so bad with pointing the toe?
3. Okay...all the way across is not going to happen. You got about 3/4 which is good enough.  Come down. Stop.
4. Turn towards judge ("Thank you!") *Slight bow from me. I respond "Thank you!" back.

I felt MUCH better coming off the ice this time around. I knew that salchow was my weakest element, but felt that everything else was pretty good as a whole.  My waltz jump felt small to me, but landed with a really nice landing position that I worked hard on, and I felt that everything else was definitely passing as well.  It also felt good that I didn't have nerves killing me.  A while later, I got the results from this test.  Both comments sheets are posted below for you to see.  All and all, testing is VERY hard for me, but I am glad that I challenged myself to do it!











I PASSED BOTH TESTS!!!!! I EVEN GOT A SMILEY FACE FOR MY STROKING PATTERN!!!!



2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Janet! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My new coach and I are already working on the Bronze moves. Back to square one of learning which foot goes where. hehehe.

      Delete